Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Hmm... I'll have to ask Mom that one."





Pics above are of us telling my family (notice my mom shirt says "Happy birthday Grandma") and then us at our visit today.

Ok so the doctor's visit today...went well. I arrived a few minutes late. Have you ever noticed that whenever you need to get out of work early, like 2 minutes before you walk out the door, a huge project comes. Oh, and it needs to be done by 5:00 the same day. Needless to say, I was not able to get it done. I ran and got my boss who graciously said she would finish it for me, so off I went. So I arrived a little stressed but I got there. My wonderful husband was sitting at the doctor's office waiting for me and helped calm me down.

I arrived and there were so many babies--I mean TINY babies. I think they must have been coming in (with their moms of course) to get their 1-week check up or something. But oh my goodness, they were adorable and it got me really excited. I sat and stared for about 15 minutes. Gabe sat and read about the victorious Celtics in Sports Illustrated, and I stared at babies. :)

When they called us back the check-in nurse said: "Oh, I remember you from your yearly exam." I said "Yes, I was in around December and we had talked about us trying in June." She looked at me and laughed. And said "Wow, you guys got it right the first time!"

I know Gabe and I have laughed that it happened so fast but at that moment I thought about all the people that come in who have been trying for years and nothing is happening. God has blessed us, and even though it happened much faster then we thought, we are so thankful. I admire every one of those women that go through infertility yet they keep trying. I know that not all women are able to conceive, so for all of you we can share this baby. :)

Sorry, I keep getting side tracked.....so we get called back and the nurse asks us several questions about medical history. The best part was when she asked us how much we wighed at birth. I knew I weighed around 7 lbs... I looked to Gabe and with this clueless stare (pretty common these days with all the baby talk) he says "Umm, I'll have to ask Mom that one." So Mom Harris, if you're reading this, fill us in there please. :) After the questions, she explains that we will be getting an ultrasound today AND every time we come in! YAY! She explains to me that she thinks we are about 7 weeks along. Okay I think I kind of understand this whole "how babies work" thing and there is no way we could be that far along. We took certain precautions until about 5 weeks ago. But whatever... maybe something happened with the "precautions." So she leaves and the doctor comes in. He walks in and the first words out of his mouth are "Wow! Batting 1000 I see." I assumed he was talking about the speed of getting pregnant so we just laughed.

By this point for some reason, I'm a nervous wreck--I mean, I was getting ready to meet our child. A child, that special something that my best friend and I share. It is half me and half Gabe-just too exciting! Just the thought that a part of me and a part of Gabe will live on after us is just a miracle.

In walks my doctor, who I really like and am comfortable with--and he brings an intern with him! I am all for teaching and learning but wow--that's a little overwhelming. They both were excellent though, and made me feel very comfortable. So he starts doing the ultrasound and up pops a little bubble thing. He says "There is the gestational sac but..." At this moment I froze. At this moment I realized--there is no but besides my child's butt! I realized how attached I had grown to this baby inside me.

So I looked at him and I said "But what? Is something wrong?" I think at that moment he saw the look on my face and he said "Oh no honey--everything is fine you are just not measuring 7 weeks... it's more like 4 1/2 weeks." At that moment I breathed a sigh of relief and everything was right with the world. We did some math and realized that made much more sense and that we are due at the beginning of March. I am to go back in 2 weeks for another ultrasound and then I can see my baby and hear his/her heart.

But I don't mind that all I saw today was the gestational sac...I met my baby! The feelings that went through me were amazing: overwhelming love, a need to protect my child for the rest of my life, and just pure joy. Mixed in with all this was just a final realization that I am a mom. This was a little overwhelming (in a good way) and when the doctor left I got a little light headed. Anyone who knows me knows that whenever I go to the doctor and either give blood or have to go to the "girl doctor" I get faint right when it's over. Its weird I know, but it's me! So he leaves the room and, as Gabe is looking at me I just say "Oh I am going to be sick." My wonderful husband is still a little clueless as to the whole OBGYN so he just looks at me and says "What's wrong with you?" I look at him and just explain I need a few minutes. I lay there for a few moments and just stared at the monitor that still showed our baby. Eventually the sickness subsided and I was ok. Gabe and I took some pictures for everyone's viewing pleasure. I know you can't see much but look!-- there's the gestational sac!

I had dinner tonight with my mom, aunt, sister Kim, and my grandma. It was so fun to listen to them all decide what the baby will call them. I have such great family and friends. I think the Harris baby is going to be one of the most loved babies around and that makes me SOO happy! Thanks to all of you out there that have been so encouraging through all the years of our lives. We are so excited to share this leg of our journey with you.

Love you all! (And praise God for the gestational sac...)

5 comments:

924design said...

And oh, what a lovely gestational sac it is! Congrats, guys!

Gavin's Mama said...

So excited for you both!! I think we go to the same OBGYN office... maybe same doctor?? Anyway, CONGRATS again, and we can't wait to meet Baby Harris!!!

Unknown said...

Hey, guys...

Gabe weighed 8 lbs, 3 oz at birth. It's amazing that I can still remember after all this time!

Unknown said...

You're going to be a wonderful mom, loving the gestational sac butt and all! I look to read more soon!

Love,
Joy

The Best Aunt in the World!! said...

Do you think I was excited!?!? I cried like a baby! I am SOOO excited about the new little "jelly bean"!! I can not wait to be an aunt...the best aunt in the world, that is! :) Love you both! You are going to be wonderful parents! Are you proud, I finally wrote on here!