Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmastime is Here... just not the tree.

I got to see Isaiah's face last week! Well, kind of. I got to see his face on the ultrasound image. It was pretty wild, though. Saw his foreheard, nose, and chin. I thought to myself, "Man! That jaw's gonna look great with a cowl! The Batsuit will fit perfectly!"

Kara is in her 28th week of pregnancy and feeling great. We cannot believe that we are so close to Isaiah's arrival. Little by little we are getting things around the house done. Tonight we cleared the guest furniture out and it is now ready for paint. Here is what Kara has decided on for the general idea for Isaiah's room:


Ours will be with gray walls, black, white then large green stripe. We will be sure and post pictures after we paint this weekend.

We decided not to put a tree up this year. I know, I know... you're thinking, "Gabe? Not getting a Christmas tree?" Listen, I am the soul of Christmas. I've been listening to Christmas music since mid-August. I can't get enough of it. I wear red and green pajamas. I sleep in a Santa hat. Okay, those last two things aren't true... but they were at one time. I used to sleep under the Christmas tree so I could smell the pine. I even strung Christmas lights all around my room, disregarding the tackiness, because I couldn't have a tree in there. My favorite Christmas song is "Carol of the Bells" and I have 5 versions on my iPod: the Carpenters, the TransSiberian Orchestra, Mannheim Steamroller, Gary Hoey, and David Foster. So yeah... no Christmas tree is a big step for me.

Kara didn't feel like she'd have the energy to take down the tree and all the trimmings. What goes up must come down, you know. But we did put up some candy canes up and down the driveway. We also put up a "Ho! Ho! Ho!" Santa sign in the yard. And we put a wreath on the door and on the lanterns outside above the garage door.

You know, I would put up Christmas lights... but there's just one problem. I don't do heights. You should have seen me two Christmases ago. A buddy of mine was on the ladder feeding me the lights while I stapled them to the roof. Most people feel comfortable enough to stand or at least kneel on a one-story roof. Me? I was clinging to it like a spider, holding on for dear life. So no Christmas lights this year. But never fear... they shine brightly in my heart.

Additionally, there's a list of movies I just HAVE to watch: Home Alone, A Charlie Brown Christmas, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and A Christmas Story. Also, around the holidays I informed Kara our first year of marriage that I MUST have chocolate chip cookies on hand at all times.

What Christmas movies do you like to watch?Are there any traditions that you have to take part in? Leave a comment and let us know!

1 comment:

Africa Jane said...

Strange things happen when you get pregnant . . . case in point!

I love your very practical wife -- who thinks about all the clean-up involved when you are preparing to celebrate the greatest event of all time??? Kara. What would we do without her!

Love you guys!