Friday, February 20, 2009

Enjoying the journey with my Father-- and my son


Hello Isaiah fans!

Gabe here. I was holding Isaiah Caden today after his afternoon feeding, just watching him sleep and listening to the words of a song by Jason Upton called "When It Thunders":

Baby look up there’s our star in the middle of the sky
Shining where we are to comfort you and I

While I hold you in the dark I hope you see the light
And the passion of my heart in this simple lullaby

Daddy don’t sleep daddy don’t slumber

I don’t wonder when it thunders

If I’m safe in daddy’s arms


Daddy look up there’s our star I hear you say to me
Something deep inside says I never want to leave
So I need for you to know whenever I go
God is in control and you are in His arms

Tears came to my eyes. I couldn't help it! In that moment, I realized that I would die--or kill--without a moment's hesitation before I'd let any harm come to my son. Now I know, in a very small way, how my Father feels about me. Is it any wonder that He asks me to call him 'Abba' (Daddy)?

Click here to listen to a 2-minute clip of the song. It's from a CD called "Great River Road", and I highly recommend it, along with all of Upton's other stuff. Worth every cent! He's my favorite worship guy, hands down.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to share our praise report! Isaiah's pediatrician didn't even check his bilirubin levels this morning since he's doing so well developmentally. He was wide-eyed, alert, and he's doing really well. Praise God! The little champ still has some jaundice, but nothing abnormal. Thank God for being involved in every little detail. And thank you all for the prayers!

The psalmist David spilled his guts to the Lord and cried out: "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am! Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you ... For I am a sojourner with you, a guest, like all my fathers" (Psalm 39:4-5, 12).

This Scripture helped me gain perspective. Today, the Lord taught me that all of the little stuff I freak out about means nothing. Life is short. Our lives are like shadows by a campfire... spit in the wind. Like David, I asked the Lord to help me gain (and keep) His eternal perspective. I want to see like God sees, and live as He does. Like my own Dad and those who've passed on, I'm just a guest here. This isn't my home.

Today, I will just enjoy the journey... with my Father and my son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen...wonderful post, Gabe. Yes, one of the great gifts of parenthood is getting a little inkling of how the Father loves us. You, Kara, and Isaiah look wonderful together! We love you guys and look forward to meeting Isaiah sometime.