Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"I don't understand these stick things..."



So where to begin? I have been reading blogs for a while now, thanks to my good friend Megan, and she kept telling me to make one for myself. My response was always the same: "I have nothing going on in my life that anyone would really want to read about!" I mean, really! I get up, go to work, come home and make dinner and then play with our dog and then I'm off to bed. And, trust me, on weekends we hang out on Saturday and do our "household chores" and then we go to church on Sundays. Interesting to us, yes, but not really blog worthy! So I finally made a "deal" with her that whenever we get pregnant I will do it. Well, to my surprise, this happened A LOT faster then I or my husband had planned on.

So let me back up. My husband Gabe and I have been married for 4 years and we decided we were ready to start trying for a baby. This "trying process" started 1 MONTH ago--yes you read right--1 month! Needless to say, yesterday morning, I decided to take a pregnancy test. I was really taking it because I needed to know what was wrong with my body. My female process was not working (or so I thought). I was taking it basically so I could tell my doctor "OK, I have taken a test and it's negative so what is wrong?" So back to the story... I woke up Monday morning to get ready for work and took the test. I proceeded to lay it down and go about getting ready. I looked down and there was that beloved + sign. I thought, "This can't be right," so I ripped the directions from the package and read through until I found the little illustrated diagram. That is when I saw that the '+' sign means positive! So I gathered the test and put it back in the box and went to work. (I put it in the box because I did not want Gabe to find it without me being able to tell him). So I get to work and I just keep thinking, "Wow, I am pregnant!" The whole day my Mom and sister kept calling because it was my Mom's birthday and we were supposed to do dinner. I was rather short with them and rushed them off the phone, because I did not want to slip and tell them before I told Gabe.

Fast forward to about 11 a.m. My boss needed help with something, so as we are riding the elevator upstairs, I asked her, "Can I leave at 2 p.m. today?" She just stares at me quizzically. I said, "I have a good explanation," hoping that would appease her. No luck. She's still staring at me. So finally I blurted, "I'm pregnant!" She stares some more and then says, "That's awesome! Sure!" That was the end of the conversation. I think she was in shock just like me. :)

So I leave at 2:00 and go to Target to get another test (just to make sure the one before did not malfunction) and to get a little something to break the news to the new dad (aka Gabe). I found a little onesie that said "My Dadda is #1". It was super cute and just perfect. I put the onesie and both pregnancy tests (the 2nd test came out positive) into a little sack, drove home, and put this just outside the front door. I rang the bell and then hid. I see Gabe open the door and then look at the test. He throws it back in the bag and is confused as ever. He then looks at the onesie and is still lost. So finally I come around the corner and said, "Honey, are you that confused? We are pregnant!" He said, "Well I definitely didn't understand that stick thing!"

I went and got blood work just to double check (hey, both of those tests could've been wrong!) They called me this morning and say, "Okay, honey your count is 1113 and everything is where its supposed to be." So that really does not help me. I asked her, "Well what does that mean?" Her reply: "Um, honey, anything over 5 is a positive!" Yeah. So I don't think that test malfunctioned!

2 comments:

Mima said...

Ooops, Kara! We didn't tell Gabe about the stick thing! I KNEW there was something I forgot to tell him...

Mima to be

Unknown said...

WOW! Congrats guys! That's awesome.

Gabe, I'll let you know what I think about the book.